PCEA Makadara church is a creation of Bahati Martyrs church which was built in 1954. Before then, young Kikuyus who had come from different parts of central Kenya to Nairobi in search of employment had no place of worship and when they found that the few worship places for Africans were conducting their services in Kiswahili, they decided to start their own worship groups in various places in the city, including Bahati area. From Bahati Martyrs church, other churches were established in the neighboring areas like Makadara (the present PCEA Makadara church), Eastleigh, Kangemi and others.
Makadara Church begun as a Sunday school class in October 1963. This was an idea of two deacons Mr. Martin Mwangi and John Kuria. The then Head Teacher of Martin Luther Primary School, Mr. William Gathura allowed them to use a classroom for Sunday school. After the ordination of Mr.Mwangi a sizeable membership of youth and Sunday school teachers was started. They requested the Kirk Session to allow them to have a normal worship. On 12 th April 1964, a formal service started at Martin Luther Primary School. In 1969 the present site was identified and subsequently a church sanctuary was built after various fundraising efforts as part of Bahati Parish.
On 12 th September, 1999, Makadara Parish was created comprising of Makadara and Pipeline congregations with Rev. Erick Muchina as the first Minister. The Parish grew from two congregations to five, adding Buruburu, Mukuru and Imara Daima in a remarkable growth.
Within a short while the parish gave birth to Buruburu Parish. Later on it was subdivided into Makadara and Neema Parish on 22 nd October, 2006. Since then Makadara Church has been a one Congregation Parish. The Church has been experiencing tremendous growth since it is located in a densely populated area comprising middle and low income earners.